Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Veal Piccata with Fusilli Pasta Marinara - "Bentornato in Italia" - Welcome back to Italy


Two of my favorite words in the Italian language are “Veal Piccata”. Well, Veal isn’t actually Italian. In Italian it would be, “Vitello”, but I wasn’t sure if I’d get the same message across if I used the Italian. Anyway, I have been a big fan of “Vitello Piccata” for a long time. That, and Linguini Vongole are the two dishes that I order the most often, to form my first impression of an Italian restaurant, where I haven't previously eaten.

Have I ever cooked this dish before? Never.  However, when I found this recipe the other day as I was “Travelling” through the Recipe Finder on the Weight Watchers website; I knew the time was right to make it now.

Veal Piccata with Fusilli Pasta
I can’t for the life of me figure out why I never prepared this dish before. It takes only minutes of preparation time and even less time to cook.  And, as if that weren’t enough, it’s fantastic!!

We served the dish with a side of Whole Wheat Fusilli Pasta bathed in a low fat Marinara sauce. This could truly become habit forming.

Today’s featured recipe is; Veal Piccata

Delicious “Lite” Recipes, From Our Kitchen to Yours.  Enjoy.

Veal Piccata

Ingredients

1/3 cup all purpose Whole Wheat Flour

½ tsp salt

½ tsp Black pepper, freshly ground

1 pound lean veal scaloppini. I used two ½ pound packages, 4 slices each pkg. and each slice cut in half.

2 tsp Olive Oil

1/3 cup canned Chicken Broth

3 Tbsp Lemon juice, fresh

2 Tbsp White Wine

1 Tbsp Lite Butter

2 Tbsp Parsley, Fresh, chopped

2 tsp Capers

Instructions

Mix flour, ¼ tsp of salt, and ¼ tsp Black Pepper together in a shallow bowl or pie plate.

Coat Veal cutlets lightly with flour mixture. Heat Oil in non-stick skillet and cook the cutlets on medium-high until just cooked through and golden, about 2 minutes per side. Set aside and keep warm.

Deglaze skillet (add liquid to remove remaining bits on the bottom) with Chicken Broth, Lemon juice and Wine. Reduce heat to medium and cook until liquid reduces by about half.

Swirl in Butter and Capers then Parsley, stirring until fully blended.

Remove and pour over Veal.

We served this dish with Whole Wheat Fusilli Pasta and Marinara Sauce as sides. 1 Cup Fusilli (dry), and 1 Cup Low-Fat Marinara Sauce. 

Yields 4 servings. Veal Piccata PointsPlus value per serving is 5. Pasta and Sauce PointsPlus value per serving is 4. Level of difficulty is Moderate. Prep time is 10 minutes. Cooking time, including Pasta, is 9 minutes.

Weight Watchers and PointsPlus are registered trademarks of Weight Watchers Intl. Inc.

Recipes shown may not be exactly the same as those found on any website. Judy and I "Tweak" each recipe we feature, to some degree, incorporating our own unique tastes. PointsPlus values, however, are accurate.

Photo by Barry Baruh

No comments:

Post a Comment