Wednesday, June 22, 2011

June 19th, Trying to get back on tract

Judy and I left Tulsa last Wednesday following a much too brief, though incredibly enjoyable visit. We were glad to have been able to post a few new recipes while in Tulsa; we had hoped to offer a few more. Time and the turmoil associated with Judy’s Mom’s move just wouldn’t allow us the opportunity.

Spending time with Judy’s family was most enjoyable.  A highlight of the visit was a three day bicycle race, the Tulsa Tough, in which one of Judy’s cousins, Kit Karzen, participated. The month we spent in Tulsa will long be remembered.  During our time there we began to prepare the house in which Judy grew up for our planned move there this fall.   Picking paint colors, carpet fabric and purchasing new furniture is so much fun. LOL!!!

Leaving Tulsa, we headed north to Kansas, then west at Wichita. I wanted to see Dodge City, home of Marshall Matt Dillon, Miss Kitty and the Longbranch Saloon.  Miss Judy was along for the ride.  We travelled along Highway 50 from Wichita heading toward our first “pit stop”, Pueblo Colorado.  For any of you who may ever be considering a trip along Highway 50 from Wichita Kansas to Pueblo Colorado with a stop in Dodge City… don’t bother, especially in early June. This is apparently the time of year they have chosen, in Kansas, to fertilize the entire state with steer manure. Try eating a Turkey Burger at Carl’s jr. with that fragrant scent in the air. Yummy.

Other than all of Kansas, and a few intense hail storms in Wyoming which included blackened skies on a sunny day and golf ball sized hail, the drive from Tulsa to Lake Tahoe was extremely beautiful and we were able to take quite a few gorgeous photographs.

We arrived at our Summer home in Tahoe City Friday evening, Winter having only just vacating the Sierra Nevada a week or so earlier.  As a matter of fact, as Judy and I drove the final leg of the journey along the Truckee River from the beautiful and quaint town of Truckee toward Tahoe City, there were actually large patches of snow along the banks of the Truckee River in several places.  We won’t be river rafting the Truckee any time soon.

The past few days have been spent gathering supplies for the summer. Today, while shopping for a shoe rack, a bathroom mirror and most importantly a lime juice squeezer, Judy and I each purchased a bicycle so that we may keep fit during our stay.  We topped that off with some non-fat frozen yogurt.  We live on the stuff.

June 22, 2011

So it’s been a few days since I last wrote and I haven’t posted a recipe nearly a month.  I am so sorry for that, but really, it’s been crazy.  Judy, Oscar the dog (who will henceforth be known by his real name…
Sir Oscar Raley Valentino, navigator first class) and I travelled down to the Bay Area to visit family and friends and pick up our boat, the G Wiz. 

We had an incredible evening at Forli on Monday with some of our closest friends, all of whom will be spending time with us at Tahoe this summer.  Tuesday we had a nice lunch with Nan, my Mom. And last night we spent the evening in Disco Bay with our gal pal Cheryl, picking up the G Wiz this morning and heading back to Tahoe.   

For a while everything ran perfectly, our new car  “floating" down the freeway boat in tow, until we arrived at the boat inspection station near Alpine Meadows. For the past several years all boats coming to Lake Tahoe have had to be inspected for a small Mussel which, if it ever reached the Lake, would beset the region like a plague.   

I’m all for what they are doing, but today we had a slight glitch as the boat engine became very stubborn and wouldn’t start when we needed it to, so heated water could be pumped through the engine to insure that no Mussels reach these pristine waters.

After two hours of engine problems we were still at the station trying to figure out what to do.  The problem is this; If you don’t pass the inspection, you can’t put your vessel in the Lake. Yikes!!!   To make a longer story shorter, we may have blown a fuse or breaker or something too technical for me to comprehend, and the G Wiz is now at the North Lake Tahoe Marina. Tomorrow Josh, the mechanic, will repair whatever the problem is and get her ready to go back to the inspection station to complete the here-to-for unfinished inspection.  No boating yet :=(.

Tonight is simply for relaxing and chillin’ from this relatively hectic and stress filled day.  Oh Look !! a Hot Tub!!!  Pineapple juice and Rum if you please, my Dear.

We hope to have a few new and delicious recipes to post very soon. For me, Judy presented me with a wonderful Crepe maker on Father’s Day so I plan on developing up to thirty or forty healthy and low-PointsPlus crepe recipes this summer.

From our kitchen to yours.  Enjoy the adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment